De Paul House has been housing families since 1986.
In 2020, De Paul House received registration as a Community Housing Provider.
Since 2017, De Paul House has expanded to include housing in the local community. 2014 saw major
alterations and additions completed, including a purpose-built Early Childhood Centre, a Community Learning Centre, and accommodation for
3 larger self-contained units. 2006 The Daughters of Charity handed over management to a Charitable
Trust Board and staff.
18th March 1986, the first family moved in. The Daughters of Charity managed the service and renamed it De Paul House, to reflect their
affiliation to St Vincent de Paul and the work of the Society of St Vincent de Paul.
In March 1985, planning approval was received from the Northcote Borough Council. Stage one saw the establishment of 6 bedrooms able to
house 22 people, a communal lounge, dining, kitchen, and laundry facilities.
In November 1984, the management committee included members of the local Society of St Vincent de Paul, The Daughters of Charity, St
Mary's School and the Regional Pastoral Council. Some of these original members continue to be great supporters and volunteers of
De Paul House even today.
18th March 1986, the first family moved in.
In the early 1980’s, the members of the Society of St Vincent de Paul, Northcote became deeply concerned about the number of families on
the North Shore who were either living in overcrowded circumstances or were homeless. These families were on low incomes. The Society
members subsequently approached Bishop Denis Browne, the Bishop of Auckland at the time and requested the use of St Dominic’s as an
emergency housing facility, similar to that established by Monte Cecilia House which was set up the Sisters of Mercy in 1983.
The building housing De Paul House today, began life as a Catholic Boarding College in 1934 run by the Dominican Sisters.